Monday, October 6, 2008

Half-Marathon

Okay, so I thought I needed to get into shape. I am going to run a half-marathon. I have done some research on how to start training and feel that if I keep up with my goal, I will be a better person for it. I have not yet signed up for a run yet, but need to start training.
While doing some research I came across several training websites that broke down a weekly schedule. I could only find schedules that were for 12 weeks training. I followed one schedule as a guideline, but added an additional 4 weeks. I am starting out really, really slow. I have not run since high school.

Here is my schedule.

Week-- Monday --Tuesday-- Wednesday-- Thursday-- Friday-- Saturday-- Sunday
1 -------Rest----- --1 mi-------- Rest------- -1 mi------ Rest--- ---1.5 mi ----1 mi
2----- --Rest------- 1 mi-------- Rest------- -1 mi----- CT/Rest-- 1.5 mi -----1 mi
3----- --Rest---- ---1 mi-------- 1 mi--------- 1 mi----- CT/Rest-- 1.5 mi -----1 mi
4----- --Rest---- ---1.5 mi------ Rest--------- 1.5 mi ---CT/Rest-- 2 mi-- ----1.5 mi
5 -------Rest--- ----1.5 mi ------Rest --------1.5 mi ----CT/Rest--- 3 mi -----1.5 mi
6----- --Rest------- 2 mi -------1.5 mi -------2 mi------ CT/Rest--- 3 mi----- 2 mi
7 -------Rest---- ---2 mi------- Rest------ ---2 mi------ CT/Rest--- 4 mi -----2 mi
8 -------Rest -------2.5 mi -----Rest---------2.5 mi ----CT/Rest ----5 mi -----2.5 mi
9---- --Rest-------- 2.5 mi------ 2 mi --------2.5 mi-----CT/Rest ---6 mi -----2.5 mi
10--- --Rest-------- 3 mi -------Rest-------- 3 mi ------CT/Rest ----7 mi -----3 mi
11 -----Rest --------3 mi -------Rest------ ---3 mi ------CT/Rest----8 mi--- --3 mi
12 -----Rest---- ---3.5 mi ------3 mi------ --3.5 mi------CT/Rest ---9 mi -----3.5 mi
13 -----Rest---- ---3.5 mi---- --Rest------ --3.5 mi -----CT/Rest ---10 mi ----3.5 mi
14 -----Rest---- ---4 mi -------Rest ---------4 mi -------CT/Rest ---11 mi ----4 mi
15 -----Rest---- ---4 mi -------3.5 mi------- 4 mi -------CT/Rest ---12 mi ----4 mi
16--- --Rest--- ----5 mi --------Rest-------- 5 mi -------CT/Rest ---13.1 mi--- 5 mi

After this 16 week training I should be ready to run a half marathon, which is 13.1 miles. I am going to work hard and document my progress. I am going to try to stick to this schedule. If I feel like I am not ready to up the miles then I will continue whatever miles I can do and up it when it better suits me. It is good to have a plan though. I can do this, yes I can!


3 comments:

Meredith said...

Good for you! I too felt like I needed a goal to work towards so that I was motivated to workout. I'm doing the San Antonio half in November and ran my 8 miles this last week. YIKES is all I can say. My body keeps reminding me I was a "sprinter" in college not long distance!

Lori said...

Good luck Jennifer! I'm not a runner at all, but I think it would be cool to be a runner. I know you'll have success. We'll hold you accountable.

Sami said...

Good job!! I usually get back into my running habit after each birth. I haven't yet though.... Maybe I'll adopt your plan too and get back into running! Thanks for the motivation.

Sami Thompson