Monday, April 14, 2008

Reverse Psychology or Just Plain Mean

Yesterday, I got the wild idea to try and take away "the Bink" (pacifier) from Annie, who will be 2 next week. I didn't want to be mean mommy and let her go cold turkey, so I googled how to wean from a pacifier. There was an article that said cut the very tip off of the pacifier and give it to your child. The lady who wrote the article said that her son continued taking the pacifier, even after she cut the tip off. She did say that he put it in his mouth and then took it back out and inspect it and then continued to use it. So, the next week she cut a little bit more off and her son would not have anything to do with it. And it was his decision not to use the pacifier.

So, I did it! I cut off the tip off of two pacifiers and left two intact (just in case it back fires). I gave Annie the altered pacifier and she put it in her mouth and immediately took it out and looked at it. She told me it was broken and handed it back to me. Annie continued to look for another pacifier. She found the other "broken" one. Again the same thing. And that was the end of it. Annie had made up her mind that she did not want a broken one.

However, that night she wanted a "Bink" and I tried to give her a broken one. She was not going to have it. She hollered and begged for me to give her a "Bink". So, I broke out the good pacifiers and gave her a good one to go to bed with. I figured she did not have one hanging in her mouth all day so she could have one at night and during a nap. This is a start.

This is day two and it is going very well. She asks for a "Bink" and we find a broken one and she hands it back to me and says she doesn't want it and that is the end of it. I am thinking this might not be so bad. I think by next week we will have broken the habit, except for at night, which is fine. I will break the night habit very soon and just give the broken ones to her and make her realize that she doesn't need it anymore. But don't you like the way that I made it her decision.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Texas Bluebonnets are out. Last weekend we went out looking for them to get the girls pictures taken. We found a huge patch of them on the side of the freeway. But it was a big hill and the girls were no where close to being by any on coming cars. The pictures turned out great. Take a look....
I have to throw this bottom picture in too. This is one of my favorites. Rebecca and Annie are eating breakfast while sharing the same chair. They are really close and enjoy playing, sleeping and eating together. Don't get me wrong, we do have our moments of screaming and yelling and time-outs for hitting, but I love the moments that they have pictured below.

No comments: