Friday, August 22, 2008

The Terrible Addiction

This intervention was not planned. However, I could not pass up the opportunity to break-free of this terrible addiction. It is still touch and go at the moment, but going better than I thought it would. We still have ups and downs but we are getting through it.

Addicted to: The Pacifier

User: Annie Elizabeth Hansen

Has used for: Just shy of 2 1/2 years


She is so cute with her pacifier, but it was getting to be a nuisance. We could not go anywhere without it and heaven forbid if we lost it while we were out. In some previous posts I attempted to take it away gradually and it worked real well. Annie was only permitted to have it during naps and bedtime. Then we went on vacation....and we backtracked. While we were on the plane to California I gave her the pacifier to help with any discomfort she may have in her ears since she has had numerous ear infections. Anyway, that is when it started and I was her dealer.

Now back to yesterday. I have been trying to potty train Annie and she has been doing okay. That is a different post altogether. Anyway, while sitting on the toilet after her nap she yawned and her pacifier fell in the toilet. Of course, Annie freaked out and was totally grossed out. I fished out the pacifier. There was nothing in the toilet. I repeat there was nothing in there. Anyway, I told her that since it fell in the toilet, we were going to have to put it in the trash. Yeah, I could have boiled it, but really it was time to get rid of it. And of course I have 4 pacifiers secretly hidden in my bathroom, but she doesn't need to know that.

Last night was the big test. I put the girls to bed at 7:30pm, but Annie did not actually go to sleep until 11pm. It was so sad and so hard to keep this up. Annie begged and cried for her pacifier. She kept telling me "I need my pacifier." Really if she can tell me that she needs it, it is totally time. So, I held her and she finally fell asleep whispering pacifier. Sad. I thought I was going to break down and provide one but I stuck it out and helped her through her first night. Annie did sleep throughout the night without waking up. I was shocked. I did not sleep well just thinking that I was going to have to get up and sleep in her room all night long. Matt brought Annie in when he left for work at 6:30am. Annie was crying for her pacifier. So, we got up and got her preoccupied with something else.

We will do it again today. Annie is pretty grumpy, but I think that last night was a real break through for her. I feel bad that I am doing this to her but know in the long run she will be better off.




1 comment:

Sami said...

The addiction every mother hates to cure, but it must be done. Way to stay strong. Good luck!